Re: Importance of "W" for Mac68/TOS

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Anthony Jacques wrote:

> > A minimal requirement for such a setup should (IMHO) be a
> > MinixFS-partition.
>
> Maybe. I have a minix partition, and would not want a system without it,
> but as it is possible to run MiNTnet without it, could such an installation
> have a user selectable option whether they want minix-FS? This might make
> it more popular...

Perhaps, but what people must understand is that they're not only
installing some dial-up software, but a whole new OS. MinixFS is IMO a
natural part of a MiNT-setup, and most MiNT-aware software runs a hell
of a lot better with it installed.

> > But what about clients??? All the really good stuff needs MiNTOS
> > (pine, mutt, ircII...), without them all we're stuck with is CAB, aFTP
> > and various STiK-clients that runs under GlueSTiK.
>
> Is there any way that pine, ircii etc. can be convinced to run under
> Miniwin/Toswin without a big MiNTOS setup? Does anyone feel up to making

It's possible, but not very easy or elegant. Basically, you'll have to
set the uid/gid and atleast the HOME-variable for these programs to
work properly. Pine also needs sendmail and a pop-client to work
offline.

> a GEM front-end to any of these progs?

Not me! It would be much easier to write new clients from scratch.
BTW. there are some libraries available that handles unix-mailboxes
and pop/smtp/imap, as well as mime-libraries, so writing a mail-client
for MiNT should be fairly easy.

/*
**
*/