Re: Cookie jar patch for Supexec/Super patch?

> |> Petr, this security discuss is so far only a discuss. Nobody has
> |> introduced any security oriented function to the kernel so far. But
> |> generally, in my honest opinion, such a fix is possible. Your "thousands
> |> of programs" accessing GEMDOS variables in supervisor mode, are mostly
> |> GEM applications. If (future) Super()/Supexec() would be root only,
> |> these programs will still work if your run GEM as root.
>
> |> As for Unix-like tools and applications (like these included into the
> |> KGMD), they can be recompiled.
>
> Don't forget the non-GEM programs that never heard about MiNT, or those
> that don't have the sources available or are compiled with strange
> compilers.  I'd guess that nearly all of them will want to access TOS
> variables.

I remember about them :) But even a non-GEM program may be ran under GEM.
Namely using TOSWIN or MINIWIN.

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

mail:draco@nidus.mi.com.pl
     draco@irc.pl
     draco@piwo.bl.pg.gda.pl
     conradus@avanti.orient.uw.edu.pl
     conradus@plearn.edu.pl
     draco@nuova.id.uw.edu.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/
 IRC:[Draco]

*** Ea natura multitudinis est,
*** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
*** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono
*** unizenie, albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.
                                           (Liv. XXIV, 25)