Re: Cookie jar patch for Supexec/Super patch?

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> > I originally proposed a system call that would read a cookie, set a cookie,
> > destroy a cookie, and get a list of cookies - this call would also read the
> > hz_200 variable, and a few others as if they were cookies.  The cookies were
>
> That's good idea. :) Of course, we can add TWO calls, one for reading
> GEMDOS variables (various ones) and one for Cookie Jar management...

I still can't see the reason for this changes: MiNT is NOW TOS, and so
can't be made more secure than TOS. There are thousands of programs which
access the supervisor areas (Cookie, variables) and you can't hope they
will ever be recompiled with new MiNTlibs. If you make the changes the
programs won't run under new MiNT anymore? If yes, the new MiNT will be
useless.

For real Unix like kernel please use Linux, it works very well and has
all protection features already implemented. As for current MiNT, I would
be happy to get memory protection working under 68040 and 68060. For
standard 68030 a working virtual memory would be the best possible thing
to add/change.

Petr
--
    WWW: http://ft3.zlin.vutbr.cz/stehlik/home.htm