Re: Minix crash

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >>potential Minix crash make me wonder how safe a
>  >>Unix partition is, given fewer recover tools in
>  >>case a problem happens.
>  >
>  >Why do you need lots of tools? ;)
>
> Because should anything go wrong, I still have the
> floppies for my regular TOS defrag/format/recovery
> programs, but a Minix crash would require complete
> reinstalling..... although I suppose if every MiNT
> executable and utility is kept in C:\Multitos then
> things can be fixed, since C:\ is a TOS partition.

If anything goes wrong with a minix-partition, you run fsck and it
fixes what's possible to fix. Just like running Edge or Correct on a
FAT-partition. FAT is not safer than MinixFS in any way, my
experiences is the opposite.

And you can still have your MinixFS-tools (fsck, msfdefrag) on a
floppy. I take regular backups and run fsck/edge on all my partitions
quite often. The clue is to prevent damage, not fix afterwards.

/*
**
*/