Re: a time for MiNTlibs pl47?

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> > You mean Dirk's patch would break MiNTlibs for MagiC?  Well,
> > if that's the only problem, they could always stay with PL46...
> > }-)
> > Ok, who else wants to comment on this?
> >

> I think we shouldn't care about MagiC  as they don't dare to care about
> the existence of MiNT.

< If you are allergic to soap-boxing, you may skip to the next
  message.>

Whether or not "they" care, I don't know (...and I don't care
:-).

I think that, whenever possible, we should take a generous
approach, in the spirit of copyleft.

MagiC-using programmers have submitted patches to the MiNTlibs
before, and I wouldn't want to discourage that from happening
again.  The user-base for the MiNTlibs is small enough as it is,
we shouldn't go out of our way to reduce it further.  (Speaking
of user-base, where are the MacMiNT folks?)

That being said, these are the _MiNT_ libs; development
priorities should centre on MiNT.  MagiC is a proprietary OS,
and although I am genuinely happy that they find the MiNTlibs
useful, it is up to them to pursue compatibility with MiNT if
they want to keep using the libs.

Anyway... this is a moot point right now, unless I get
convincing evidence that Dirk's patch is indeed
MagiC-unfriendly.

Yves