[Fwd: Re: java virtual machine]

Here is some info on how to make a virtual java machine from Craig
Graham, the author of XaAES, our freeware MultiTOS replacement.

						Peter Ross
--- Begin Message ---
Nicolas Mailllot <maille@club-internet.fr> mumbled indistinctly:

>does anybody know if java virtual machine exist on Atari???
>   thank you

Well, I use my falcon for development prototyping for my day job
(interactive TV systems) and I've reworked the whole JVM from
scratch - it's quite usable on an 8Mhz 68K, well quick on a 32Mhz 030.

Unfortunately, as it's a day job project (unlike DUftp, DU-Debug,
XaAES, CLA, etc), I'm not allowed to give this one away. Or indeed,
release it at all :(

Use this as an encouraging note though, it's perfectly easy to do.
And fast enough - but only if you don't do a direct port of Sun's
JVM source code (they've got like, a 240 branch switch statement
as the core of their virtual machine - real dumb).

The book to get for anyone who wants to do it is:

The Java Virtual Machine Specification,
by Tim Lindholm and Frank Yellin. Pulished by Addison-Wesley.
ISBN 0-201-63452-X

It's got everything you need to code it, but you'll need a set of the
Java Standard libraries and a compiler as well (Sun released source
for these, so they're not to hard to come by - you may have to sign
a license first, but it's free).

If anyone picks it up, they can mail me for broad hints on how I
approached it....

Craig.
(XaAES, CLA, DUftp)

--- End Message ---