pop3 problem

    Hi,

I've just subscribed to your list, so excuse me if I'll ask something
which is covered by a FAQ or is generally known to everyone...

I want to set up my MiNT to receive, edit and post internet e-mails. I've
got the KGMD 1.0 and installed it successfully. Then I replaced some utils
with newer from KEMD.ZIP. Pop3client was not a part of KGMD, so I got a
pop3 v1.1 from ftp.fu-berlin.de (IIRC). I have installed it, but it does
not work - it reports 'fatal pop3/tcp: unknown service():'. I have edited
/etc/services slightly and added pop-3 line from Linux's /etc/services,
but it didn't help. What can I do in order to get pop3 working?

Another topic: I have my Falcon040 connected with my IBM via nullmodem
cable (just three wires). In Linux-Linux ppp connection works flawlessly,
the transfer speed in ftp is more than 10 kB/s. With MiNT-Linux ppp
connection this is much worse - ping reports about 25% packet loss and ftp
does not work at all - it sends some blocks from MiNT to Linux, but it
does not receive anything - it simply freezes waiting for a packet or
something - I don't know. Ping works at the same time, but as I said, with
lost packets... In both cases the transfer speed is set to 115200 bps.
HSMODEM7 is installed in MiNT auto folder, of course. Don't you happen to
know why there are problems with this MiNT-Linux link? Is MiNT too slow?
Even slower than Linux? I can't believe it...

And the last problem - I have spent whole evening trying to compile pine
3.95 (a mailer similar to elm) under MiNT (GCC 2.7.2, MiNT libs pl46) but
I can't manage to do it - too many symbols are missing in MiNT's headers
:-( Can anyone have a look at this problem - or better haven't someone
compiled pine for MiNT already?

Thanks for your reaction,

Petr
 | stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz -- 2:421/36@fidonet.org -- 90:1200/2@nest.ftn |
 | Falcon030 + Nemesis + AfterBurner040, 20MB RAM, 1GB IDE, CDROM, EZ-drive |
 | IBM 6x86/P150+, 16MB RAM, 2.5GB - running Linux and Atari 800XL emulator |