kmalloc() ; also, X

Hello - I program for MacMiNT, and have a couple of questions about
Atari MiNT which you folks could probably answer...

First, are there any restrictions on the use of kmalloc()?  I know that
under Linux there is a rather limited amount of memory available through
kmalloc(); what about MiNT?  I'm writing an .xdd that interfaces with
MacOS' TCP/IP facilities, and need to allocate buffers for each
connection - MacTCP requires that you give it a receive buffer, usually
8-16k, for every stream opened; needless to say, this could add up in a
hurry.

Second, does X for Atari MiNT use VDI calls to write to the screen, or
does it write directly to video RAM?  (And incidentally, what about W?)
Right now MacMiNT has no emulation of either VDI or video RAM; knowing
whether one would have to implement only one or both would help a porting
effort greatly (translating VDI calls into MacOS QuickDraw calls would be
bearable, but emulating a frame buffer in a window on the Mac desktop?
YUCK!)

IMPORTANT:  PLEASE CC ANY RESPONSES TO ME AT rob@rpelkey.bates.edu -
I've been having a tough time getting subscribed to the list, and (at
least right now) have to do my list reading through the web archive,
which I only get around to doing about once a week...

							Rob

--
<!-- Rob Pelkey <rpelkey@bates.edu> \ http://www.bates.edu/~rpelkey/ -->
<!--  Professional Web Dude          \  #include <std-disclaimer.h>  -->