Re: Pre-Announcement MiNT 1.14

> Hi there,
>
> All this sounds great, but I'd like to ask you a few questions:
> - Is the memory protection feature still available ?

No...

> - What about the Falcon, did you manage to make the VDI work with VM ?!
>   The Falcon VDI always uses the Blitter chip, whose address bus is only 24 bits
>   wide, and which doesn't use the PMMU so that it cannot access data at locations
>   higher than $FFFFFF.

That is no problem since the VDI always uses ST-ram. I don't expand ST-ram
since that would lead to serious HW problems.

> - How do the user sets the size of the VRAM and the amount of physical memory used
>   for the frames.

The size of virtual ram is set by the partition size dedicated as backing
store. I currently take all TT-ram and all ST-ram but 4 meg as page ram.

> - I don't understand why you did patch AHDI, mine was working perfectly under VM
>   and you can set up the _FRB cookie for the ACSI transfers.

It's because there is no scsi-dma in falcon that is capable to dma into
"TT-ram". The scsi-dma on TT can do that. So if I didn't patch the bios routs
then AHDI would have tried to dma sectors from hd into VM-ram which hangs the
TT.

Regards
	Sven Karlsson
Student of Engineering Physics at Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden

Soft- and Hardware developer @ Istari Software
Current project: Code ,an interactive development tool for video
	game consoles including Editor,Debugger and Assembler
	Fenix, a new OO OS for Atari compatible computers.
E-mail: f92sk@efd.lth.se or tomten@df.lth.se
WWW: http://www.efd.lth.se/~f92sk