Re: Mint X11 question...

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Stephane Boisson wrote:

> |Now I get: waiting for X server to respond...  and waiting...
> |and waiting...  For some reason it seems to expect the X server
> |to be on a remote host (belonging to my ISP), which does not run
> |an X server. I lacked the time today to try and find out why.
>
> When I tried X on MiNT I didn't get that.. This seems again you have
> a misconfiguration in your network.. As the server do not seems to
> appear on localhost, it would be nice to know which host it is trying
> to laucnh the X server on..
> Does the debug messages from MiNTNet say?

Actually, this only happened the one time. I don't know exactly
what happened or even if my interpretation was correct.

I have gone over my mintnet installation very thoroughly, and I
am now convinced that it is correctly set-up, loopback interface
and all.

As far as I can tell, the network error messages I am now
getting in debug mode are normal; they stem from mintnet looking
for a DNS (and not finding it when my PPP link is down) before
defaulting to the /etc/hosts file. I think I can account for
every message MiNTnet issues in debug mode.

My X problems still revolve around the "failed to set default
font path" message.  Using the second level of debugging, I was
able to follow X as it accessed /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc and
seemed to grok the directory; then it moved on to
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, but barfed on it and issued the
"failed to set font path" message. OK... so I specified 'misc'
as the only directory in the font path, as in:

/usr/bin/X11/X :0 -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc

This gets rid of "failed to set default font path", but I am
still left with 'could not open default font "fixed"'.  This
message (or a similar one) appears even if I specify the default
font manually on the command line.  As far as I can determine,
my fonts.dir file is fine. (No crlf's, either.) I also built a
small fonts.alias containing this line:

fixed  <font-specification-in-full>

No dice so far.

I'm going to do a net.search in dejanews to fish for clues.

The saga continues...

Thanks,

Yves