Re: Mint X11 question...

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, J.D.Coleman wrote:

> Just a guess - the X startup is trying to contact the X server on
> 198.168.100.3 and there is no IP route to that address.  I presume that
> this is the IP of your machine and that X is trying to contact that
> address because that is the address that matches your `hostname`.

I've only been able to make a very brief foray along that line
of enquiry today, but I made some progress.  My problem was at
least partly related to an incorrect entry in my 'hosts' file.
Commenting it out got rid of the "failed to set default font
path" message. Yeah!!

Now I get: waiting for X server to respond...  and waiting...
and waiting...  For some reason it seems to expect the X server
to be on a remote host (belonging to my ISP), which does not run
an X server. I lacked the time today to try and find out why.

Yves