Re: Mint X11 question...

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Thomas Binder aka Gryf wrote:

> > If I specify the default font with the -fn switch, then I get
> > the error: 'could not open default font /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/5x7.bdf'
> >
> > Any more suggestions, anyone?
> Is your MiNT compiled with DEBUG? If so, you could press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to
> see the error messages from the kernel before launching X. With that, you
> will be able to see where X is looking for something it can't find or why
> it fails to read it.

Ok... I got MiNT to operate in Debug mode. Let's see... from
the point X gets running, here is what I get:

(1) X was looking for a 'hostname' file in /local. Strange, but
    easily fixed.

(2) The following error message is repeated several times:

    ip_send: not route to dst C6A86403
    ip_send: not route to dst 0

(3) then it looks for a file /etc/X0.hosts, which it doesn't
    find.

(4) then it does a Fattr with /tmp/.X11-unix/X0; no error
    message generated.

(5) prints out "failed to set font path <blah blah blah>"

Regarding point (2) and (3)...  If I supply a bogus X0.hosts
file (ln -s hosts X0.hosts) then the error message in (2) gets
repeated several more times,  but in the end I still get (4)
and (5).  If I happen to be connected to my ISP via PPP at the
time I try to start X,  then (2) does not happen at all.

Confused yet? :)  The bottom line is, I can't see any connection
between (5) and the error messages that precede it.

Arrgh....

Yves "Why do I even bother?" Pelletier