Slip connection to Linux Box

  I've been trying to set up a SLIP connection with someone in my house
who has a LINUX box, and I wondered if anyone could help me out.

  I've got a 4MB STE setup with MiNT 1.12.5, MiNTnet 0.80 and quite a lot
of application software, grabbed from all over.

  If I want to create a SLIP connection along a null modem cable to a
linux box, what steps do I need to take?

  I've decided to call my machine 130.0.0.1 and the Linux box 129.0.0.1.
Therefore from reading the docs I figured that I needed to call the
following command in my rc.net:

slattach -l 130.0.0.1 -r 129.0.0.1 -s 19200 -p cslip -t /dev/ttya &

  Am I right in thinking that if my friend with a Linux box runs a
corresponding slattach command at his end that the communication will be
set up?  Or does one of the computers be set up as a server, and the
other a client.

  If anyone has direct experience with the Linux slattach command I'd be
grateful, as it seems to have a different argument structure than the
MiNT one.  For one thing it doesn't have either the -r or the -l option,
so we can't figure out how to tell it which address to use.....

  While I'm here I'd also like to ask about another problem I have.  I've
got inetd set up to call rlogind on an rlogin command and I also have the
telnet command set up, but when I try to login to myself by rlogin or
telnet I get a response similar to below:

login:root
Password:
root login refused on this terminal

I believe this happens on any terminal (including console) and with any
username.  Does anyone know what could be wrong...

John (the man of many questions)

John Beranek                             \  ()  () . -- .
Third Year                              /   o o '        `
Computer Systems Engineer                \   | / ./ -- . / `.`.
University of Kent                       /   '  ='     </    `--'