How to get a precise timestamp?

I wrote a program where I have to use timestamps. To be more precise I use
the call "ftime" instead of "time". However ftime increases the time in
steps of 2 seconds. The milliseconds component of the structure filled in by
ftime is always 0.

An interval of 2 seconds is not precise enough. Is this a bug in the Gnu
libs? Or a bug in the operating system? I am using Mint1.09 without any
patches.

Or is there another function I could call? I prefer functions that come from
unix because those are quite well documented.

Thanks a lot

Hans streibel
--

e-mail: hans.streibel@fernuni-hagen.de