Re: GNU DLD

Evan Langlois wrote:

> I read some GNU docs that said that the GNU dld (dynamic linker) works on
> the Atari ST!   Anyone know anything about this???

Yes. There has been a port of DLD in its very first days (those times
when there was no MiNT on the ST --- at least not widely known  ---
and when people where using GCC 1.xx for compilation :-). I have done
some work to get dld 3.2.3 running on my ST some time (not so long)
ago, too. The hard work is to get the symbol tables right. As the ST
executables produced with GNU ld contain a DRI compatible symbol
table, while the object files contains a usual (from the Un*x point of
view) a.out format symbol table, I added some hackery to support both
formats of symbol table. (Which is just the right place to complain
about this *BUG* to write out the "correct" symbol table to a separate
file. It *is* really annoying if you use gdb and always have to
generate an additional file, esp. for ports from other Un*x machines)
I also vaguely remember someone posting here about a port of dld which
uses the separate symbol files.

Regards
Wolfgang

----
Wolfgang Lux
WZH Heidelberg, IBM Germany             Internet: lux@heidelbg.ibm.com
+49-6221-59-4546                        VNET:     LUX at HEIDELBG
+49-6221-59-3500 (fax)	                EARN:     LUX at DHDIBMIP