Re: MiDI driver for MiNT-net?

> > I'm not sure if it would work - you might want to install the hsmodm
> > midi drivers.
>
> It _does_ work (but not with the hsmodm drivers, which seem to stuff
> things up), but the throughput is only a couple hundred bytes per second.

Yes, both ppp and slip SHOULD work in principle with /dev/midi. But there is
a problem with flow-control, indeed.

> It might be possible to cook up a suitable encoding scheme to let us allow
> the MIDI ports to use their XON XOFF handshaking without disturbing their
> data. Even better, it would be nice to see MIDI become an ethernet-like
> broadcast device, so that boxes could be plugged in and plugged out and
> packets would travel to the right machines. I'd seriously consider
> sacrificing a lot of speed for that.

As /dev/midi is a standard tty device you can use xon/xoff. This should
work with PPP, since it works on non-8-bit-clean-lines. You just have
to escape ^S and ^Q for PPP. Look into pppd.8 for exmaples on how to do
this.

Making "broadcasting over midi" work should be no problem with midi-thru.
If I get it right, if you connect some ataris with midi and one sends
something *all* connected machines will receive the data on the midi-wire,
right?

If so broadcasting works automatically: if one machine sends a packet all
others will receive it, but when matching the destionation IP addresses
in the packet header all but the destination machine will trow away the
packet.

Can someone try this? I currently have only one working Atari.

Kay.
--
Kay Roemer              roemer@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
"If I ever meet ..."    http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~roemer/