Re: Documentation on minixfs and ext2fs

Evan wrote:

> First, my apologizes to the list for posting blank or redundant mesages.
> I keep hitting ~. instead of ~f or ~v.  Anyone familiar with mailx
> will know those commands.  I need to get elm and a good mailer - but
> not for another couple weeks.

heh-heh! Get yourself elm and smail quick!!

> >The only fly in the ointment is that it's not interrupt driven, though it
> >could be easilly converted. The problem is that the floppy drive uses the
> >same DMA interrupt... :-(  Your solution (below) would not need to be
> >DMA interrupt driven.

> Yes, it does, and AFAIK, we only have 1 DMA channel, right?  What
> happens with BLiTTER IO?  We might need to lock that too!  Speaking of

Dunno, don't have blitter. Nope, never even seen one. ;-(

> You mean one semaphore, set in both places?  I think that the BIOS
> Rwabs is redirected to the MiNT version (or could be redirected that way),
> then we only need to mess with the MiNT version of RWABS.

Nope, two semaphores. One on MinixFs and one on Rwabs. User-level
processes can call Rwabs() directly, as well as MinixFs, so we need to
block them too. The semaphore on MinixFs is paranoia on my part.

> I guess we could just give the BIOS a full slice or maybe two or three
> of them before pre-empting it.  Or, maybe not give the driver 200Hz
> ticks unless we want to give them - and maybe fake them.  Either way
> sound complicated.  I'd like to see your libscsi code.

It is complicated, more so the more I think of it. :(

> I'm not too familiar with MiNT interrupt handling and wake/sleep stuff
> to do it myself though.  Any volunteers?

Silence... was the loud reply.

Steve