Python 1.3 (new port!)

Yes folks, there's no stopping me...

On my web pages (http://www.qnx.com/~chrish/Atari/MiNT/), there is a
*new* port of Python 1.3, probably the coolest interpreted language
around.

I'm going to try to get this added to the main Python archive, too.

This spiffier port (which should replace my old port) includes support
for:

 - GNU readline 2.0; this gives you good command-line editing
   within Python... of course, it's only useful if you're entering
   programs right into Python (which is great for fooling around, etc).

 - sockets!  Yes, Kay's socket code (version 0.80) is here, so you can
   use Python with MiNT-net... combine that with all the spiffy network
   modules for Python (FTP, HTTP, NNTP, etc, etc) and we've got a very
   powerful networking tool here.

 - GNU dbm 1.73; my port of this database library/engine is here as
   well, giving us nice fast databases directly from within Python

 - George Neville-Neil's timing module:

 - Lance Ellinghaus's rotor module (enigma-inspired encryption)

 - Andy Bensky's "environment" module (contains putenv())

 - David Wayne Williams' soundex module

None of these were in my last port, and the readline support was sorely
missed by Eero.  :-)  It's his fault that I did this, actually; he kept
bugging me about how great Python was, so I _had_ to check it out
eventually.

Hopefully I'll have a cool little W or GEM application built soon with
Python embedded in it as an expansion language (you'll be able to
control what the program draws on screen from the built-in Python
interpreter).

You can grab extra Python information and goodies (including loads of
extra Python code, and the complete source archives) from:

	Web: http://www.python.org/
	FTP: ftp.python.org

Enjoy!

--