Re: Sendmail and Elm

> Hi there... sorry if I'm going over anything that's already been
> mentioned at some point, but has anybody on this mailing list got a
> sendmail port for MiNT setup?  With Elm, or another mailer... I'm fed
> up of using MiNTnet for all my internet stuff, but having to use Oasis
> for getting my mail (it's a waste of time and phone bill, having to
> connect just to download my mail and then disconnect)
>
> I downloaded sendmail from somewhere ages ago, but I've had loads of
> problems setting it up.  And now I can't seem to get Elm to work
> either - it just says that there's a problem locking my mail file, and
> I can't figure out why.

Sendmail is available at a.a.u.e in Mint/Network/
I use smail which I found much simpler to set up, and less memory
intensive (although I'm not sure if anyone else has managed to get it to
work. Binaries and a copy of my configs are available, and Yves is
trying).
I think I had to dummy up a couple custom scripts elsewhere. If I can get
Yves set up with it, then we'll know how to get the rest of you set up.

Elm's locking would have broken with  FreeMint x.x.4. There was a kernel
patch around this. Happened to me too, so I went back to the previous
release until Mike Hohmuth passed me the patched binary kernel.
Basically, it was a kernel bug that broke Flock() IIRC.

> So, anybody else had similar problems and fixed them?

Heh. Sorta. I _did_ get sendmail running at one stage, but switched to
smail because of memory restrictions. Sendmail eats RAM like candy. Smail
is a lot more economical. I'm typing at you now on elm, and when I hit
send, smail will take over. Take a good look at the message headers.

> Any help most appreciated, cheers, Gary

Dancer