Tinyfugue

I feel duly chastised. I didn't realize that there were people who had not
heard of tinyfugue.

To explain: tinyfugue is a client for MUDS and MUSHes. It handles
multiple, simultaneous, line-oriented telnet connections, keeping input
and output segregated to their own sections of the screen. If you use
virtual environments for work (as I do), or for gaming (as I rarely do),
then you definitely want this, as opposed to telnet.

Granted, it is much larger than telnet, but can log output to files, or
pass it to programs (ubiquitously, or triggered by regular expression),
has it's own scripting language, can transmit the contents of files, or
the output of programs to a connected session, can have it's scripts
triggered by events or by time, maintains a list of addresses, and both
login-names and passwords...the list goes on.

The features are truly too numerous to list. It has online help, and a
manual page. The source can be found at
ftp://ftp.tcp.com/pub/muds/Clients/tf

Dancer