Re: FreeMiNT, minix partitions and executables

  In <199509021538.PAA00080@raleigh>,
  Andrew Colvin (apc@raleigh.zynet.co.uk) wrote:
  >       and combine the two parts.  However, can somebody tell me
  >       what will happen if I fork a Gem application.  Will the
  >       child be recognised as a gem application without an
  >       explicit appl_init (I doubt it) and when I kill the child
  >       process should I just exit or do the usual appl_exit
  >       stuff?

  If you're running MiNT with "SingleTOS", a forked process must
  *never* do any AES calls - all kinds of nasty things can happen
  otherwise!

  *All* AES processes must share the same MiNT PID - if another
  MiNT process does AES calls, the AES process dispatcher might
  switch to another AES process (like an ACC or the Screen Manager),
  which causes serious problems with respect to memory and file
  handle ownership...

  Under MTOS it *might* be safe for a subprocess to call the AES, but
  I'm not sure wether this has been documented anywhere; calling
  appl_init() should be mandatory in any case.

I've done this under MTOS; you need to call appl_init. I tried doing a
vfork (so the parent and child shared the same memory segments) but the
child process would just crash if it did any AES calls (without getting
its own handle.)
  -- Howard