MGETTY

Hello all!

I need to know if anyone out there has any experience running mgetty
under MiNT (using freemint 1.4 and the init from mintos on aaue).

First, I'm using mgetty because the getty from mintos kept crashing
with a BUS error as soon as it was run and so I could never get it
to do anything.  Since I have a Zyxel I thought fax and voice mail (from
vgetty which I haven't compiled yet) would be real nice.

Now, mgetty on a console (or vconsole) works fine.  Mgetty on /dev/modem1
works until you disconnect.  Then init gets stuck on a Fforce(-1,4)
call right before its supposed to load mgetty.  If I turn off the modem
and then turn it back on, then mgetty will load but it gets a timeout
error from it's do_chat routines (this happens using the siginterrupt
call or not) and it quits - so init hangs up again and it starts all
over.  I can't access the modem at all while init is hung like that.
What's happening?  How can I fix it?   This happens with or without
HSMODEM06 (which seems to otherwise work great. BTW - is the timer
interrupt modification that hsmodm does (changing SPL to 5 so that
the MFP can interrupt the system timer - or it looks like thats what
it does from the broken english minimal docs) safe to use under MiNT?)

It looks like init may be the problem .. anyone know?  Anyone using
mgetty?   Anyone using ANY kind of getty?

Also, while not a big problem, can anyone tell me why I get a little ^M
on my screen instead of a carriage return when I log in?  It should be
a carriage return and a line feed, but I get a ^M and then a linefeed.
Can anyone fix this?  Everything else is fine though - or seems to be.