Re: Name lookup timeouts, redux -- IP defrag?

>> This suggests a bug in IP defragmentation; the nameserver reply packet
>> appears to be getting dropped if and only if it gets fragmented. [...]
>
>Hmm, I have an MTU of 296 and no problems with the name server at all.
>Are you sure you have the same MTU on both sides of the link? If your
>local MTU is < than the remote one than the local SLIP will drop all packets
>that are longer than local MTU but shorter or equal the remote MTU (ie almost
>all IP fragments will be dropped in this case).

Well, that 256 came from the Winsock config files provided by Duke
Netcom for their Windows SLIP package, so I assume it's correct.  OTOH,
I'm currently running with an MTU of 512 with no problems, so you may
well be right.  We'll see what Netcom has to say.

						-sbigham