Problem with Mint-1.12MH2 and Mint-Net?

A couple days ago I compiled in the MH2 patches to Mint (is MH3 available?),
only to find that establishing a SLIP connection over /dev/modem1 no
longer works.  Watching the modem lights, I see blip of outgoing data, then
a blip of incoming data, then nothing.  Subsequent attempts to use a
terminal emulator fail also.

I have compiled Mint with GCC 2.6.1 with "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer" and
Mintlibs Patchlevel 44. Is this a known problem or have I erred somewhere?

thanks,

Aaron Burghardt
aburgh@dsmnet.com