Re: Help - new user!

> If you look close into you will notice that only the /dev/console is
> defined as a secure terminal. If you want log in as root on a toswin
> window you have to declare that window as secure, too. (Probably you
> have to add the ptys toswin uses to /etc/ttytab.)

Yup, this worked fine. The Linux setup upstairs doesn't have a ttytab
file, so I hadn't really come across it before.

>>Also, when I log out, there seems to be no record made of it.
>>Consequently doing a "who" results in listings for pseudo TTYs that
>>I logged out of days ago.
>
> Now this one *is* related to running without. While the entry that
> someone logs into the system is made by the login program (or any
> replacement), the entry for the logout is made by init at the time
> it notices that the corresponding terminal is closed (i.e. when the
> last client closes connection on that window).

Is there a way round it? When I close a TOSWIN pty, I (almost) always
do so by logging out first, so is there a file that is run by the
shell before logging out (is there a .logout, or am I dreaming - and
if so, which shell does it apply to?) which I could use to "force" an
update of the relevent files? If so, how would I go about it (i.e.
which files need changing, and what format are they in)?

>>Could anyone tell me what files are run/read/checked on booting up
>>or logging in. I've tried using bash and C-shell, and bash fails to
>>notice my environment variables (set in mint.cnf), whereas C-shell
>>does. I can only assume that there is a problem in one of the bash
>>script files, but I have no idea where to begin.
>
> Well there are really lots of files to list here; it would be
> probably best to read the documentation or manpages for bash and
> tcsh.

Unfortunately I can't get my manpager to work! It always begins
formatting, then gives up - but it does say sorry! Any ideas from
anyone? I _think_ it's set up with everything in the right places,
but as I said, I am a novice.

> Hope this helps
> Wolfgang

Cheers,