pipe/log: not found

I have tried and tried to get syslogd to run and load the log file.

If made sure I'm switched to drive U:, I've put it in my Mint.CNF, tried it
in RC and RC.NET, but the only way it works is when I load it after logging
in as root.
(Default User=root)

In Mint.CNF
I tried

cd u:\
exec /bin/sh /etc/syslogd

In RC I tried
if [ -f /etc/syslogd ] ; then
        /etc/syslogd &
        echo -n "System Log started"
fi

In the Rc I'm always told "syslogd.prg: No such user or pid...."
I'm running out of straws, as I can't run most Mint Net stuff without this,
and would like for it to come up automagically....

If anyone could just send me a sample of how they started it...that would be
helpful.