Re: UNIXMODE Environment ?

Dirk Stadler (dirk@lstm.uni-erlangen.de) wrote:

> AFAIK the mintlib supports only the switches "s b r" in the UNIXMODE-variable.
> Are there any other switches available and what does they mean ?

The standard UNIXMODE should be "/brUs". The `other' switches are only
used by the GNU library which should not be used any longer anyway.

I'd like to see these settings in the library as default and I'd like
to throw away UNIXMODE. For all those who don't want these defaults
(are there really such people?) we could think about a variable called
DOSMODE with reversed meanings of UNIXMODE.

b: CRLF is dead and often causes porting problems.

/: Backslashes and drive letters are dead and we should think about
   removing /[abcdef...] from /. It should be possible to `mount'
   every drive instead of those symbolic links. This could be done
   either from mint.cnf or via an external `mount' command.

rX: see `/'.

s: Hashbang (#!) emulation should go into the kernel, how hard would it
   be to implement it?

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |      UUCP/ZModem: + 49 89 5469593       | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!