Re: Virtual Memory

>Hi list!
>>From the list of tonight...
><As I see it we have a BIG problem here. MiNT without proper VM will
><not be able to compete with f.e. Linux68k. More and more people
><(especially the "power-users") will switch to Linux unless MiNT
><catches up with current OS-technology. Without these "power-users"
><there won`t be anyone left capable of further development and
><porting of free Unix-programs.
>
><OTOH, if MiNT goes VM then we will loose every ST/STE/Mega-user,
><effectively reducing the installed user-base to a couple of hundred
>
>Sorry, but I don't see this 'BIG' problem.
>Linux is for 68030 ONLY anyyway. Dont forget that! Standard Mint *DOES* work
>on 68000 and 68020. SO why not make it an option? Apart from that I guess most
>people on the list have a falcon or, like myself, have a PAK/3-020 or -030
>fitted in their ST, which out-performs a falcon easily!
>
>ATB Egbert Jan

> Egbert Jan van den Bussche    VAX/VMS     SHELL Research Rijswijk,
> tel. +31(0)70-3112657          ATARI      Postbus 60,
> Email: busscheh@ksepl.nl      VAX/VMS     2280 AB Rijswijk, Holland (NL)

Hmmm.  VM would be nice. However, since I am running a 520ST with the only
enhancments being TOS 1.4 and 2.5 Meg Ram, I don't stand to benefit from it.
Unless someone could do what IBM'ers did on their 8088's and faked VM.  (Or
does the 8088/86 have VM capabilities??? (I don't think they really do...but
have seen some programs that did some fancy manipulations to implement "VM")
Sort of Virtual Virtual Memory.  One HUGE drawback.  Everything crawls
slower than a dead turtle.  (Of course that was on a 6Mhz model, as opposed
to the flying 8Mhz of the standard ST's, and many have 16Mhz accelerator
boards.)  Hopefully, I'll be upgrading to a Falcon by Christmas 95.

While I'm at it. I currently have Mint 1.12 installed on a V2 Minix
partition. Minus any useful mint utilities. (i.e. I'm trying to figure out
where to put them, and haven't been able to get the Mint distrib kit to do
anything, it keeps crashing.)  I can get the latest TCSH to run, (when I
know which tape archive it's on.)  But have never figured out MiNtOS or MiNt
NET.  I am not a programmer as of yet. (I know some basic, and some pascal,
but much of your discussions of forks etc.. I can barely understand.  (i.e.
I understand the principals, but practical implementations of said routines
seem to go beyond my grasp...partly due to the fact as I've never
successfully gotten any C compiler to run on my ST, although I have no
problems with Borland's Turbo C for Messy DOS.)

I was hoping someone would put together a new distrib. Kit including Mint
Net and MintTOS with all directories correctly installed.  I can add
symbolic links, that
are faithfully listed on drive U: but cannot seem to access them. I can
however go to the REAL location and get the programs/drives to work.  (i.e.
Mint/Gemini can never find it's TEMP directories or Man pages. Even though I
have the Environment variables set with symbolic links to each directory on
Drive U:)

As for installation of terminals, (i.e. on a Midi port) It would be nice if
someone could come up with a setup program that would ask which ports to add
tty's to...(i.e. the sh < Midi |cat >... or whatever the example was in a
setup. Would also like to implement a PLIP connection between my PC and my ST.)

(I know I'm asking the world.) First I need to know how to make a PLIP cable.
I could swear I saw a port of PLIP comms for MINT somewhere, but it may have
been for Linux.  I'm not sure.

Thanks for listening to the rambling of a Mint Novice, (MINT god wannabe...)

Oh yeah, happy Valentine's Day.
Creative Communications
The WRAY Family.
Creatively Communicating Across the Globe.