Re: MiNT-Library: Bugs

Stephan Haslbeck wrote:

> Frank Bartels wrote:

> > > stat.c: +nox
> > >   In lstat(), maybe make filenames with trailing slash follow symlinks?
> > >   sometimes it would be nice if i could do `ls -l /usr/' and get whats
> > >   in there, not just the link...
> > >   [This sounds like a bad idea to me.  Sounds like a kludge in ls is
> > >   what's needed here, if anything. -entropy]
> >
> > No! No! No! `ls -l /usr/' *has* to follow the link! And it does on my
> > SunOS 4 and FreeBSD machine. *Please* change this behaviour!
> >
> Then why is there an option --dereference in the GNU-ls?

This means a different thing.  Under any sensible OS, a path
specification "/usr/" actually means "/usr/." (note the dot) and
therefore has to follow the link, regardless of whether --dereference
(or -L, for short) had been set or not.  "/usr" (without a trailing
slash) is different and means the link itself.

Michael
--
Email: hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de
WWW:   http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mh1/