modm0dev

I've been wanting to install TERM, but it says I need modm0dev for
select().  Why does modm0dev buffer the data so weird?  Its very jumpy.
modem1 in the kernel seems to support select() now, doesn't it?  But
every so often it locks up on me, and any program that tries to write
to it will hang.  I had to reboot.  This many have been fixed between
1.11 and 1.11h2.   SO, is this a known and fixed problem with modem1?
Or has modm0dev been sped up a bit?

Also, TERM seems a bit old.  Is there a newer port available?