Re: Various MiNT questions

In message "Various MiNT questions", hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de writes:

> > 3.  Has anyone gotten tcsh to use the DOS file structure, but not use the
> > lame tcsh.csh files?  I would rather it use .cshrc, .login, .logout, and all
> > that jazz AND be able to use the DOS filestructures.  Since root is the only
> > user who can access non-minix partitions, then that right there limits who
> > can have these resource files on TOS partitions.  If we are assumed smart
> > enough to compile MiNT by ourselves and use MiNT-Net and get it running by
> > ourselves, then surely we can make sure our .cshrc files do not sit on TOS
> > partitions.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "DOS file structure", but you
> can get `tcsh' to use Unix-style init files by recompiling without
> certain #defines I introduced; i.e., use the patches in tcsh6033.zoo,
> apply them to virgin tcsh-6.03 sources, edit config_f.h and #undef
> DOSFS and/or DOSTEXT, and hit "make".

Maybe I misunderstood the README file, but it souned like this to me:

If you #undef DOSFS, then tcsh would use the dot files, but _it would not know
how to access files on TOS partitions._  Leaving DOSFS defined _would_ allow
access to TOS partitions, but as a side effect used an 8.3 scheme for resource
files since you cannot use dot files on a TOS partitions.

Tell me if I misunderstood, or if the paragraph above is true.  I would like
access to my TOS partions (/c and /d), but use the dot resource files.  I
really don't think there should be a problem with tcsh, since I would expect
the minixfs to abstract that kind of access away. (but that's because I'm
a computer scientistf and we like abstraction!)

Finally, where can I get a version of more that accepts pipes?  I must have
an older version and it always tells me it can't do pipes.  That same more
program should be able to access files outside of the current directory (that
may sound funny, but I get "can't access file" errors from more when the file
is not in the current directory, using both relative or absolute paths!)

Thanks
                                Troy Carpenter
                            Bell-Northern Research
                               Atlanta, Georgia
                                 troyc@bnr.ca

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*