Re: GEMDOS re-entrancy

Claus Brod writes:

> >   2) Process B must not make a GEMDOS call.  This could lead to some weird
> >      multitasking.  I guess it would work, but halting the AES when a program
> >      tries to load fonts could get kinda hairy.  Processes that can't call
> >      GEMDOS cannot accept input or display output.  This will work, but it's
> >      hairy.

 (hmm i didn't that one..)  on MiNT console IO has nothing to with GEMDOS,
for MiNT GEMDOS is just a bugged messdos-filesystem with clock. :)

> Option 2 isn't that hairy as it may seem. It just requires reentrance
> semaphores for AES, VDI and GEMDOS. The effect would be that you couldn't
> call AES while another process is inside AES, but that's exactly
> the same situation as with the current MiNT version. This would
> allows not as much parallelism as we might want, but at least a little
> bit. Option 2 also doesn't involve lots of kernel hacking which I would
> like to refrain from for now.

 if you just hook into trap #1 you stop much more multitasking than
really necessary, i think we should do it in the kernel...

 cheers
	Juergen
--
J"urgen Lock / nox@jelal.north.de / UUCP: ..!uunet!unido!uniol!jelal!nox