Re: Deleting owned files...

Stephen Usher <Stephen.Usher@earth.ox.ac.uk> writes:

|> Under BSD the symatics are:-

|> 	drwxrwxrwx	Anyone can delete, create or rename files.
|> 	drwxr-xr-x	Only owner of directory can do the above.
|> 	drwxrwtrwx	Anyone can create or delete their own files, no-one
|> 			else (other than root) can do so.
|> 	(I think the t is in the right place.. it's the sticky bit anyway.)

It's  drwxrwxrwt

|> The important thing is the directory's protection, not the file's, which
|> determines who can do what to files in the directory, other than for
|> chown'ing. To chown a file you need to be the owner or root.

Under BSD you cannot chown unless you are root, even the owner (of the
file) cannot.  Otherwise you could fill up other peoples quotas :-)

Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de                completely different"
* Linux/Atari is coming soon, stay tuned * But don't hold your breath... *