Re: UniFS

What you wrote:
> Here's a weird idea.   How about combining ramfs with Unifs?  That way the
> Unified file system could store files like a real filesystem?

I'd rather have it write files to disk somewhere.

> Or perhaps add a command to MiNT.CNF that would allow writes to U: to be
> redirected to some other path?  So that it would show up in U:\ but get stored
> elsewhere?

I suggested this a while back (it might've been to Eric on GEnie as long
as two years ago!); UROOT=<path> or something like that.

I don't know my way around the MiNT code to implement it myself though.

Could we do something like this with the new minixfs mount code?  Ie,
mount u:/ somewhere on a minix partition, or mount all those directories
that are in u:/ on a minix partition?

> Oh .. I think TOSWIN has a really BAD memory leak.  For some reason, when I
> do a PS or a TOP, MiNT increasing has more and more memory, until it gets
> over 2 MB and I have to reboot.  I first thought it was tfork, but I used
> that directly from a shell quite a bit and there was no problem, but under
> TOSWIN memory use skyrockets!   It seems to be a combination of tfork and
> toswin though as tfork'd processes grow huge when running and only the original
> memory is free'd and returned to the system, the rest is "owned" by pid 00.

Warwick's anouncement for his new TOSWIN+Warwick's Additions says it fixes
a few bugs...  I'm waiting for it to clear into Newitems because I want to
implement starter .MNU files.

--
Chris Herborth                    \`o.0'       herborth@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM