Re: SCSI Driver

>A few years ago, I wrote a hard disk driver of my own, called CBHD.
>It has been published as part of a book that I wrote ("Scheibenkleister"),
>together with other hard disk maintenance software. At the time,
>the book and the driver were very successful in Germany.
>
>I'm in favor of this.  Also, we can steal the Linux SCSI driver and some
>of its other things and hack them up (not steal the code - learn from their
>code).  I am not in favor of 64 bit block numbers though.  Most file systems
>are only 16 bit (tosfs and the original minix file system, although I can't
>be sure of MiNT's minixfs or any V2 system) and are limited to 32 or 64MB.
>64 bit would be ... well ... more than enough.   32 bit is a limit of 4GB
>per device.  While I'm sure there are 4GB device around, I think we can
>wait to implement that.   Consider that a 68K can't work with 64 bit numbers.
>Efficiency would be a problem I think!!

Hmm.. I think restricting disk block/sector numbers to 32 bit would be a
grave mistake. There are already 9GB disk boxes out there, 4GB is becoming
commonplace using multi-disk virtual drive technology. OK, they are
currently quite expensive, ie about #1500 stirling for 4GB, but the price is
falling VERY quickly.

As for the filesystems.. The Minix Filesystem is starting to look a little
cramped, but MiNT can use other filesystems such as the new 4.4BSD one (once
someone's written it ;-)) which is full 64bit.

As for efficiency, you can take the 64bit number as being two 32bit numbers,
segment+offset. You only load the segment long word when you get an overflow
from the offset, so most of the time there is no speed difference.

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).