Re: Memory Protection

The MultiTOS AES is already marked as "special" for memory protection purposes.
I can assure you that MultiTOS will run with memory protection (I do it
all the time). However, it is possible that some desk accessories and/or
TSRs can cause memory protection errors that will kill MultiTOS off; the
screen manager is somewhat vulnerable to this.

It is impossible to add an MMU to a 68000 because the 68000 has no way to
restart an instruction that caused a bus error or similar memory fault.
The only 68000 based machines I've heard of that run Unix actually use two
68000s, running in parallel; when one gets a memory fault, the other one
can be used to restart the instruction. Trying to add something like this
to an ST would be far more complicated than upgrading to a 68030, I'm sure :-).