Re: [MINTOS] fs tree structure (was: Re: MiNT goes UNiX, .

In <199401141039.AA02414@ruulot.let.ruu.nl>, Annius Groenink writes:

> I totally agree.  MiNT shouldn't be viewed as an attempt to obtain a
> complete UNIX clone.

The big advantage of a Unix clone is the enormous amount of sources
available from the Internet.

> I mean look at this discussion, it's ridiculous,
> really.  There's nothing Atari-specific left.

Atari specific means that available sources need a lot of modification to
make 'm run on an Atari computer or in some cases it might even be more
efficient to write a new program from scratch.

Is it really necessary to reinvent the wheel over and over again?
I certainly don't wanna waiste my time developing programs that other
people have already written (probably much better than I ever could),
and were generous enough to make freely available.

> What about GEM for example.
> Did we forget about that?

Not entirely :-). It would be nice to have an Xlib/X-toolkit/widget-set
implemented as an AES interface. It could not be nor would it have to be a
perfect emulation, but if you could run X software at the system console
that would be a big improvement.

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)