Re: [MINTOS] fs tree structure (was: Re: MiNT goes UNiX, ... )

> > MiNT shouldn't be viewed as an attempt to obtain a
> > complete UNIX clone.  I mean look at this discussion, it's ridiculous,
> > really.  There's nothing Atari-specific left.  What about GEM for example.
> > Did we forget about that?
>
> (I think you've missed the point.)
>
> As far as GEM and Atari specifics are concerned, it would be nice to
> have them fit into a Unix environment nicely.  With the current GEM
> implemtations, this seems to be impossible.  What we're in need
> of is a GEM server (that can be killed and replaced by an X server :-)
> or, even better, a set of GEM widgets on the top of X.

I think you are just confirming my point here.  Of course, it is nice
to have GEM widgets on top of X (BTW, similar packages exist, but they are
only development kits), but it is ridiculous to want this on an Atari
machine.  I mean, just buy yourself a Linux box and start writing the
widgets!  What you are suggesting is to deprive Atari from everything it
is special at, and when you've done that, people will tell you they'd
rather buy a HP 9000/400 to run your stuff!

--
Annius V. Groenink | E-mail: avg@cwi.nl      |  Private & ZFC:
CWI, Kruislaan 413 | Office: M233            |  P.O. Box 799