Re: shared libraries for MiNT

> No problem, as long as there's only 1 data space that all libraries share;
> that's the advantage of using just 1 base register for all the libraries.
> The disadvantage, of course, is that with 16 bit offsets we run out of
> room relatively quickly. On 68020+ machines you can use 32 bit offsets
> directly; on 68000s you have to do register loading, which is a pain but
> I think is do-able. (I think the OS-9 port of gcc does this.)

Yeah, if it were up to me to decide this, I think we should go for 32 bit
offsets. 64k just aint enough these days. One of the things I was really
hoping for when the -mbaserel stuff was incorporated into gcc, was to be
able to make sharable versions of the _good_ shells (bash, tcsh), emacs and
the like. This is unfortunately impossible with only 16 bit offset.
How about making the whole concept of sharable libraries only available on
68020+ machines ?

(Guess I got a few enemies there...)

Erling