Re: My experience with MiNT 0.99

> > First of all my hardware configuration configuration:
> >
> > 	- ST520+ upgraded with
> > 	- 4Mb ST-Ram
> > 	- SST68030 with 4Mb-FastRam
> > 	- ST296 SCSI disk.
> >
> > First I compiled MiNT with MULTITOS defined. This version completely
> > hangs after showing the wellcome message. I didn't specify any gem.sys
> > in mint.cnf. Where do I get this? Is it the gem.prg, which was part of
> > the earlier MiNT packages.
> >
> > After this I recompiled without MULTITOS defined and got a nicely
> > working version. However I got problems with several versions of GDOS
> > programs. If I disable a GDOS version, the machine boots up fine. When
> > I enable the GDOS I get a MEMORY VIOLATION somewhere, when TOSWIN
> > loads the configured executables (EMACS and TCSH). The desktop is
> > displayed and I can move the mouse cursor, but that's all. I checked
> > three GDOS programs:
> >
> > 	amcgdos 3.21
> > 	amclight 4.0
> > 	gdos 1.1
> >
> > With all of these I get the same result.
> >
> > Does anyone have similar experiences?
>
> One thing to watch for (I'm not sure what MULTITOS sets up): the normal ROM
> AES doesn't work with memory protection at all. Have you tried mint -p?
>
> --
> ________________ cut here _________________________
> Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-W4400 Muenster
>   eMail: julian@math.uni-muenster.de, jr@ms.maus.de
> ________ correct me if I'm wrong __________________

Well, if I remember correctly, -p disables memory protection. I wouldn't
expect any problems without mem. prot., since earlier versions also didn't
have mem. prot.. (I didn't check thou). But if you say, that the ROM AES
doesn't work with mem. prot., why can I work with the machine without a
loaded GDOS. I use TOSWIN with the three ROM fonts, no problem.

My guess would be, that a GDOS trys to access some memory, that is doesn't
own and hangs up the machine.

But if your are right, would that mean, that all users (with 68030 updated
ST's for example would need new TOS ROM's?
--
MfG/Regards

     /====                          Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
    /    Ridderbusch        / ,    Abt.: STO SI211
   /                       /./    Riemeke Str.
  /=== /,== ,===/  /,==,  //     W-4790 Paderborn, Germany
 /    //   /   /  //   / / \    Tel.: (49) 05251-8-0
/    /     `==/\ /    / /   \  NERV:ridderbusch.pad

Email: ridderbusch.pad@sni-usa.com (America (North & South))
       ridderbusch.pad@sni.de      (Rest of world)